This activity introduces students to multilingual skills and cultural knowledge and the practice of workplace diversity skills.
Suggested Grade Level
Approximate Time Needed
Pick one of the three listed research assignments:
- Describe an incident of a cultural conflict that you either observed or experienced at your internship, or one that someone told you about.
- Interview a co-worker of a different ethnic background (or different from you in another significant way).
- Visit a store where you regularly shop (e.g. clothing, music) and take a look around at the workforce. Do you see people of different ages? Different ethnic backgrounds? Different skin color? Different sexes? Employees with disabilities?
Write up your observations addressing the following questions:
- Why do you think this store does or does not have a diverse workforce?
- What effect might this diversity or lack of diversity have on customers?
- Do you observe any unusual ways that customers are treated?
- If you owned the business, what would you do differently in terms of diversity?
Completion of worksheet
This activity gives students an opportunity to reflect on their internship experiences and the key takeaways from related lessons, such as what skills, techniques, and concepts can be applied to college and future work.